Science in the News: Lesson Ideas
In this audio podcast, two Smithsonian Teacher Ambassadors converse about bringing current science topics -- like Climate Change -- into the classroom.
Pascale Creek Pinner is 2008 Hawaii State Teacher of the Year and an eighth grade Earth/space science teacher at Hilo Intermediate School in Hilo, Hawaii. Seth Berg is the 2008 Colorado Teacher of the Year and is a Math/Science teacher at Telluride High School in Telluride, Colorado.
In their podcast Pascale and Seth discuss:
- the Teaching for Understanding approach
- their "Science in the News" lesson activity
- evidence they and their students see of climate change in their own neigborhoods
- tying in breaking science news into the curriculum at a moment's notice; and
- how they keep up with their own professional development as teachers
Running time: 22 min.
Note: June Teisan, 2008 Michigan Teacher of the Year and Smithsonian Teacher Ambassador (not featured in the podcast), was the third contributor to these materials.
|Unit Organizer: Much Ado About Nothing? Reasoned Responses to Science in the News|
|Lesson Rubric: Science in the News|
|Lesson Rubric: EcoTown|